Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Green Life!


I haven't updated a whole lot lately. Frankly there's not much to say. The fish keep swimming, I keep feeding them, things keep on keeping on. My 48 gallon is going well. Mekong, my red tailed black shark, is behaving herself very well. She keeps to herself and to her side of the tank. She doesn't even get in the face of the other fish if they wander in to "her" territory. She does occasionally bum rush a serpae but in her defense they are usually asking for it.

My eclipse is also going very well. I added a diverter to the output of the filter to reduce the current so that Shark doesn't get knocked around. I made it myself and it works great. There's very little flow in front of the filter where previously it'd drive him to the bottom of the tank.


I had a situation with the rasboras at the end of last week. One of them developed a white lump under his mouth, about 1 to 2mm in size. A day or two later they all had it. I was nervous about it but rather than try to medicate it without a clue I just made sure the water was as good as it could be. Today I found that three of them had cleared up completely and the other was down to just 1mm in size.


I also got my first live plant today. It's a crypt, a low light simple to keep plant. Oddly enough it's the most expensive living thing in any of my tanks. Here's hoping it does alright and helps out with keeping the algae down.

No comments: